Sunday 25 September 2011

Hawes Weekend Septemeber

Hawes Weekend 23 -25 Sept

I was encouraged by a good forecast for the week-end ahead and set off by train on Friday morning. I arrived at Horton-in-Ribblesdale at mid-day and after a stop for refreshments at ‘The Crown’ set off along the Pennine Way for Hawes. The path was clear and direct, much to my liking. After booking in, we retired the short distance to the pub for our evening meal. Several hours and several drinks later, we staggered back to the hostel.

For Saturday, the majority of our group ventured south along the Pennine Way, ably led by Harvey. Contrary to that forecast, we soon disappeared in the enveloping gloom and drizzle. There was much slip sliding about in the wet conditions; Simone in particular sported a nifty line in the latest mud splattered look. We enjoyed a tasty meal at the hostel; thanks to Shaun for negotiating a bulk purchase discount before further refreshments at the pub.

Sunday dawned brighter; but by the time that we were ready to leave, the drizzle had returned. The planned ascent to Great Shunner Fell northwards on the Pennine Way was abandoned and we went our separate ways. I headed south ascending again into the gloom. By the time I descended into Wharfedale the weather had improved and I enjoyed brightening conditions as I walked on to Malham. I continued on the Pennine Way over the next couple of days to Haworth and finishing at Marsden.

Thanks to Shaun for organizing a most enjoyable week-end.


John H

More Photos Here.