Thursday 30 August 2012

Werneth Low 29 August 2012

When I awoke to the sound of heavy rain against the window on Wednesday morning, my first thought was "why on earth did I volunteer us to stand in for Denise when she told us she would not be able to lead the walk?" My second thought was "I wonder whether I can find an excuse to miss it and let Geoff lead it!)

However during the day the weather improved and I checked the BBC Weather to find that the evening forecast for Romiley was rain turning dryer. The forecast for Hyde was slightly better, but which is Werneth Low? It is in the middle.







Anyway it did not seem too bad when we set off early to try and park near to The Grapes. But there were cars everywhere! Were all these people coming on our walk? No, a notice revealed that there was a choir meeting in Gee Cross Community Hall (Gareth Malone has a lot to answer for!)








Clutching our cagoules we met everyone outside the
pub and set off, fairly briskly as we knew there would
not be much daylight. I opted to stay at the back to count people (36 and 2 dogs) and to let Geoff lead the walk.
But the weather stayed fine so there was no need for me to drop back to wait in the pub. 

We headed up to Lower Higham and the War Memorial
at Hackingknife, stopping briefly to look at the views across to Manchester and beyond before continuing up and across Werneth Low to the top of Joel Lane. Then
we walked along the footpath beside the road, passing the Hare & Hounds and down past Birches farm where we turned right to walk back down to Gee Cross and The Grapes.
 

Only a short walk to finish the season but it did not rain and we did not need torches.

As Geoff & I walked back to the car at the end of the evening it was starting to rain. At home as we watched some of the Opening Ceremony for the Paralympics I heard heavy rain against the window, the day ending as it started!

Sue T